Connect with us

Entertainment

Twitter Suspension: Lai Mohammed Says 7 Of FG’s 10 Requests Have Been Met

Published

on

Spread the love

Nigeria expects to lift its ban on Twitter before the end of the year, Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, told Reuters on Thursday, adding that the government was awaiting a response on three final requests made of the social media platform.

Mohammed said the government had reached agreements on seven of 10 requests made to Twitter but was waiting for the company’s response on final issues, including setting up a local office, paying tax locally and cooperating with the government to regulate content and harmful tweets.

“We certainly want to put this behind us before the end of the year,” Mohammed said.

Twitter declined to comment.

The government suspended Twitter on June 4 after it removed a post from President Muhammadu Buhari that threatened to punish regional secessionists.

It was a culmination of months of tension. Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey’s posts encouraging donations to anti-police brutality protests last October and Twitter posts from Nnamdi Kanu, a Biafran separatist leader currently on trial in Abuja, infuriated authorities.

Mohammed said Twitter “made their platform the platform of choice for separatists”, and was suspended because it threatened national unity.

Last month, Nigeria’s broadcasting regulator asked TV stations to curb their reporting of security issues in the country by withholding details of incidents and victims. read more

Mohammed said concerns over deteriorating freedom of speech were the result of misinformation. He added he was currently in Washington, D.C. meeting with journalists and opinion leaders in an effort to counter such misunderstandings.

Source: Tribune

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

× Join our WhatsApp Group for more news.