Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. Today, Nigeria is celebrating her 60th independence anniversary from colonial masters. The management and staff of DAILY POST MEDIA LIMITED joins the rest of Nigeria to wish Africa’s most populous black nation on earth a happy independence.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari will today address the nation from the Eagle Square, Abuja, on Thursday, October 1, 2020.
Buhari’s address is part of the activities commemorating the 60th Independence Anniversary of Nigeria – the broadcast would be televised on the network service of NTA, FRCN and other TV and radio stations.
3. Governor Bello Mohammed Matawalle of Zamfara State has approved the setting up of a commission of inquiry to probe massive misappropriation of over N107 billion by the immediate past administration in the State, led by Alhaji Abdulaziz Yari.
A statement signed and issued to newsmen in Gusau, the State capital, by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Public Enlightenment, Hon. Zailani Bappa, said the figure is a total sum of money discovered to have been misappropriated between 2011 to 2019.
4. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has announced 201 fresh coronavirus cases in Nigeria.
The health agency, which confirmed one fatality due to the disease, said Lagos recorded the bulk of the new infections with 77 cases, while Rivers, Plateau and FCT had 37, 25 and 13 new cases respectively.
5. Public and private schools in Kwara State are to resume academic activities on Monday, October 5, 2020.
A statement by the state Commissioner for Communications, Afolabi Oshatimehin, announced in Ilorin, on Wednesday, that tertiary institutions are however, expected to resume on October 12, 2020.
6. Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, has cancelled the initial process for the appointment of a new Emir of Zazzau.
El-Rufai in a tweet on Wednesday said the cancellation was due to the exclusion of two interested applicants.
7. Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State has banned commercial motorcyclists, known as Okada riders from all major roads in the state, starting from 10m on Wednesday tonight till 6am on Friday.
Gov Abiodun also said the operations of all commercial buses are also suspended from the same time till Friday morning.
8. The Court of Appeal in Abuja has sacked the 10,000 constables recruited in 2019 by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu.
A three-man panel of the appellate court led by Justice Olabisi Ige unanimously nullified the recruitment, on the ground that the IGP lacked the power to recruit constables for the police force.
9. Former Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka has said that a poster, circulating on social media, purporting that he would run for the vice presidential position with Sokoto State governor, Aminu Tambuwal as his presidential candidate, is false.
Chidoka dissociated himself from the posters, saying that he neither authorized anyone to produce them on his behalf, nor was he involved.
10. A campaign poster of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, running for president has emerged online.
The campaign poster has the Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum as Vice President.